Kerala Flood Relief Fund – Donation Booth

Kerala Flood Relief Fund – Donation Booth

#SGforKerala
#KeralaFloods
#StandwithKerala

You must have seen all these hashtags and more since August when devastating floods affected the people of Kerala in India. 
You may also have seen this link – https://floodrelief.org.sg/ – which is SMA’s initiative with many Indian and Malayalee associations in Singapore and the Singapore Red Cross to gather funds to support Kerala.

After the immediate flood relief, it was time to take stock of the long term repercussions of the flood and the monetary loss. Roads, bridges and infrastructure had been totally wiped off. Many standing structures had been submerged under mud and debris for days if not weeks and would require intensive cleaning and major repairs to salvage them. Schools, Hospitals, Community Centres had been damaged. The farms, orchards, forests and hills which were the source of food or of the tourism industry would have lost a few harvests/seasons.

Many have asked what will be done with the funds, so here goes. 5% will be the admin charges taken by Red Cross. The remaining 95% will be used for rebuilding efforts. Red Cross has proposed focussing on projects that will be beneficial to a larger community and will have a long-term impact. Thus rebuilding schools, Hospitals, Community Centres will be done using these funds. At the end of the year Red Cross will invite those involved to view the work that has been done by then.

To garner more funds to reach the target of S$500,000, a booth was set up outside the Little India Arcade, just before you turn into Campbell Lane. Little India Shopkeepers and Heritage Association (LISHA), Oli 96.8, Mediacorps’ Vasantham Channel and Apollo Banana leaf deserve heartfelt thanks for all their support and input at the booth set up in Little India.

Thanks are also due to the amazing group of volunteers who overnight registered themselves and spent anywhere from 2 to 4 hours or even more, come rain or shine, over weekdays and weekends at the booth.
SMA held a volunteer appreciation event on Saturday, 23rd September at SMA hall on Race Course road to acknowledge and thank the volunteers for the outstanding work they have done!

SMA would also like to convey our heartfelt thanks to every single donor. Little drops do build a mighty ocean!

You can visit the booth and contribute until the 30th of September. It is located just before Campbell Lane, right in front of the Little India Arcade.